One of the first foods that comes to mind during holiday season is dessert. I thought I would share an easy recipe of healthy and delicious Vegan German Chocolate Cupcakes.
First time I tried German Chocolate Cake was over Christmas 2012 when visiting my husband’s family. I loved the combination of chocolate cake and coconut frosting and wanted to create healthier and vegan version of it. I found basic recipe online and adjusted it to fit my taste and pantry staples.
I never use white sugar or flour and really dislike difficult recipes with a bunch of hard-to-get ingredients so whenever I make anything, I tried to keep it as simple and easy as possible. That being said, I understand that some of these ingredients might not necessarily be easy to get, but generally, if you live in the US you can probably find them all in any supermarket or online. I love to experiment in the kitchen by substituting given ingredients for the stuff I have at home, or can get at my local grocery store, most of the time it only makes the recipe more interesting.
Without further ado, here is the recipe:
Healthy Vegan German Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients (6 cupcakes):
– 1,5 cups whole-wheat flour
– 1 cup pure agave syrup/maple syrup
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder
– 0.5 tsp salt
– 1/3 cup vegetable oil/olive oil/coconut oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp distilled white vinegar (1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
– 1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cupcake pan or use liners.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the syrup, oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake on bottom rack at 350°F for 30-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Vegan German Chocolate Cake Frosting
– 0.5 cup plain soy milk
– 0.5 cup coconut milk
– 0.5 cup pure agave syrup or maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water until smooth
– 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
– 3/4 cups chopped pecans
In a medium saucepan, mix the soy milk, coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla together. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Cook for one minute after it boils. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes (mixture should still be warm) before spreading on cake.
Please let me know in the comments if you tried this recipe and how it turned out, good luck!
P.S. Frosting normally would be white, but probably because I used maple syrup instead of sugar it turned out caramel color which did not affect its tastiness in any way.