Things I loved this month.
1. WordPress App. The last few month have been really exciting but also very busy. I kept thinking that I want to write about it on the blog but the times where I could sit down at the computer and work on it was very limited (that’s why there are only few posts published so far). A friend told me about the WordPress App and omg, why didn’t I think about it earlier? I started using it right away and it is so helpful and easy! Without it there would probably be nothing on this blog at all. Any time I have a minute I write down some ideas and I have a few posts in drafts, this app is a gem!
2. The Script. I’ve been a fan of this band for years! This month I was listening to their new and old albums because on June 2nd I am going to their concert in LA! I am so freaking excited! Partially because it’s been a while since I’ve gone to any concerts (and I used to go pretty often in college) but mostly because it’s amazing to go see live the artist you actually love. Check them out, they are really good!
3. OPI Nail Polish Minis Set. I’ve got a little obsessed with these cuties. I love nails polishes and I like trying different colors. It doesn’t really make sense for me to buy a full size bottle because it will get bad before I ever use it, and considering I want many different colors it can get expensive too. Minis are perfect solution! You get many color choices, there is enough polish for multiple nail sessions and you can get 4 colors for the price of one full size bottle. they make a great gift too!
4. Steller App. This is a really cool app for creating stories with photos, videos and text. So many beautiful, inspiring stories from all over the world. Such a visual pleasure!
5. Charity Vance – Runaway. This song is so Summer! Makes me want to jump in the car and go on a road trip!
New Mom Favorites
Alright, now that it’s my maternity leave is almost over, I will share the rest of the new mom favorites and this list will be longer since I want to include all the things we liked and found helpful. It takes a lot of time to go through different products you might need, reading hundreds of reviews trying to decide which product is the best one, so if this post will help someone, I’d be really happy.
6. Skip Hop Duo Signature Diaper Bag. This bag is awesome! It fits so much stuff and still looks neat and holds its shape. It has straps that allow to hang it on the stroller which is SO convenient as you don’t have to take up the space in the stroller bin or carry it on your shoulder (that would get tiring very quickly and would spoil any long walk). The material and zippers are really sturdy. Currently I use it as my “working mom” bag, it fits my pump,breastmilk cooler set, wipes, and occasionally even lunches plus a million other little things. It’s a bit pricey but totally worth the investment.
7. Otteroo. Such a cute little thing! This floatie is made for fun bath time as it allows baby “swim” freely in the tub. Being in the water feels really familiar to them (remember where they spend their first 9 months), this a great way to explore surroundings and move around. Few things to consider: the size of your tub, age and weight of your baby (from 8 weeks old to 35 lbs). In a tub too small it can hit the walls if your baby is active. We only used it 4 times before it got a hole along the seam but customer service was really helpful and sent us a free replacement. Hopefully it will last longer this time, my baby really loves having bath with it!
8. Skip Hop Pronto Changing Station. This thing is perfect for changing the baby on the go. It unfolds into a piece just enough to put your baby on and covers any questionable public changing tables. Changing area is laminated so it’s easy to clean, there are a couple of pockets for diapers and wipes and it folds into a clutch. This thing is all you need for a quick walk or errand. I keep it in my stroller at all times.
9. Homedics Sound Spa Portable Sound Machine. OMG, I cannot tell you how effective this thing is for baby sleep time! It blocks background noise allowing them to sleep peacefully longer. My son would sleep for 30-45 minutes at a time during the day before, with this he can nap for a couple of hours. More importantly with this machine he almost sleeps through the night waking up only once for a quick snack. I keep the volume on medium, just enough to cover the noises of us moving around the apartment and some street distractions. It has 6 melodies, my personal favorite is Summer Night, the sound of crickets and the light wind. Unfortunately, it’s not as effective for my son’s sleep as white noise, I really hated white noise after a couple of days so we found a compromise on the ocean sound, it’s pleasant enough and he sleeps well too. The best part that it can run continuously all night (it plugs in, so no need for batteries if you’re at home; it’s portable though so you can put batteries in if you’re traveling). Really recommend it!
10. Remedies Humidifier. Humidifier is a must for babies. It creates a comfortable environment during sleep and especially helpful if you or baby are sick as it helps to relieve congestion. This one is quiet, has a slot for essential oils which was a big selling point for me and it has 7 color of LED lights which makes it a cool night light as well.
11. Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow Standard Glass Bottles. These bottle are made of glass with vent system that removes air from milk and reduces feeding problems like colic, spit-up etc. If you’re breastfeeding, make sure to use the preemie nipple, it is the slowest flow similar the real thing. We didn’t have any confusion between the breast and the bottle which is great. These are the only bottles I’ve used but I am really happy with them!
12. The First Years Spin Stack Drying Rack. Inexpensive and simple, this rack turned out to be very useful. All baby related pieces (bottles, nipples, brushes, etc.) have their own space which makes it very organized and quick to find. Fits a lot including my pump accessories. Make sure to put glass bottles on the bottom row as they are much heavier than plastic ones and can potential collapse the construction.
13. Munchkin Arm and Hammer Diaper Pail. Clean way to organize dirty diapers. Completely seals the smell, fits a lot and looks nice in the room. Bags come separately.
14. Dr. Brown’s Breastmilk Storage Bags. These are perfect. Very strong, self-standing which is awesome (I tried other brand and it collapsed while I was pouring the milk in spilling all over the place), they do not leak when thawing (many other brands had such complaints). They also fit my breast milk storage organizer, very happy with these.
15. Bassinet. I didn’t want to buy bassinet because I thought it’s a waste of money, it’s only good for 2-3 months and then it’s just taking up space. Our neighbors who had a baby recently borrowed it to us and it turned out to be a great thing to have! You can keep baby close to bed and rock with one hand while still trying to sleep, haha. It’s easy to move from room to room if you need to. Totally worth it especially if you know somebody you can give it to later;)
16. Lansinoh Nursing Pads. These pads are great, absorbent and discreet.
17. Piyo Piyo Yellow Baby Nail Scissors. Babies are born with super scratchy tiny nails. You have to be fast and precise when cutting it. These have sharp blades but rounded ends for safety, sturdy, effective and cute!
18. Babiators. These Baby Aviators sunglasses are so freaking cute! He looks so fly in them and they actually do provide the UVA and UVB protection. They also offer a free replacement for lost or stolen sunglasses within the first year. Available in multiple colors.
19. Fisher-Price Deluxe Take Along Swing and Seat. This little thingy is great for wake time, compact and portable, it keeps baby entertained with rocking movement and music giving you the time to do something while still having baby nearby.
20. Baby Activity Gym. We call this a Fun House and it is another way to keep the baby around and entertained. It allows more activity and wiggling than the swing and also perfect for tummy time.
21. Skip Hop Water Thermometer. Definitely a must-have, we love this cute and functional little whale.
Well, that’s it. As of now I am not planning to included baby favorites anymore unless you guys want me to, let me know. Feel free to share this post as well as the ones from March and April with any new or expecting moms you know, and keep this list in mind for baby shower gift ideas! Till next time!